When Noah Phillips gave land for two church congregations in the late 1800's, he also gave land to build a schoolhouse for the children of Cedar Shoals (later named Porterdale). He gave land on Rocky Plains Road to build this schoolhouse, with the attending children having to walk two miles each day to reach school. Eventually John Porter, one of Oliver Porters sons, realized that there was need for a closer schoolhouse. He convinced his father to allow him to build a new schoolhouse with his father giving the official go ahead to build a new two-story school building in 1900. The first school teacher was Mr. John Cowan.
The top floor of the school also served as a community house and a meeting location for all the clubs and secret orders of the town. The second floor would be used by the Masons, Woodman of the World, Redmen, and the order of the Eastern Star.
Soon after in 1903, a building specifically for kindergarten was built on the south side of the river at the base of Porter Place so that more mothers could work in the mill. The first kindergarten teacher was Miss Annie Laurie Jefferson who later became Mrs. John Porter.
In 1917, another brick school house was built and name the John Porter building. This building contained a large auditorium which was furnished by the Porterdale Woman's Club and the bricks left over from the building were used to construct an indoor pool.
Six years later in 1923, another school was built to hold grades five through nine. In 1929, both an athletic direcor and band direcotr were hired. Mr. James Porter, another son of Oliver Porter, gave forty band instruments to the school in 1929. The sons of one of the founders of Porterdale wanted to leave a positive impression on the city just as their father had done before them.
The final school to be constructed in Porterdale was built in Rose Hill. It was constructed for African American children in 1937. It is the only remaining school building in Porterdale.
Oliver Porter was one of the original five commissioners who chose the location of Georgia Tech in 1886. He served in that office until his death.